Strange MacBook failures

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by edoardoruggeri, Feb 17, 2014.

1. edoardoruggeri macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I am experiencing very strange failures which seem connected to the hardware.

I have a MacBook black mid-2008, worked perfectly until 1 month ago with little to no maintenance done. 1 month ago, the screen froze with the beachball spinning and I was forced to force shutdown. When trying to start it up, it would reach the page with the apple logo and then automatically shut down after 1 minute.
    So I initialized the HD and re-installed the OS. Everything was back to normal. After exactly 2 weeks (14 days), the same thing happened again. I initialized the HD and re-installed the OS again, and everything was working once again.
    Yesterday, after exactly 14 days, the same thing happened again, and I followed the same steps.

Now the MacBook works again, but judging by the pattern, my guess is that in 14 days it will fail again.

I don't understand what could cause failures such as these ones, exactly 14 days apart. My hope is that it's not the logic board.
    Any suggestions?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Can you run the AHT...( Apple Hardware Tests) these are supplied on the media that came with your Macbook...more info here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

Sounds like a dead or dying drive could be your problem, but the tests will check other components too.

It would be worth running memtest too:

http://www.memtestosx.org

Hope this helps

3. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

I'm in the camp of a dead/dying hard drive. If you happened to have a spare around, try loading OS onto that and see if your problems return in 14 days.

Upgrade to an SSD?

4. edoardoruggeri thread starter macrumors newbie

I brought the MacBook to a store and they tested it with all the tools they had. HD is fine, so is the RAM and every other component they could test.
    The only one they couldn't test was the logic board, so we suspect it may be a logic board problem.

Now, considering my MacBook is 6 years old, is it worth it to actually repair it? Or would I be better off buying a new MacBook Pro?