Strange Macbook fan issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jason-94, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Jason-94 macrumors newbie

Hey,

So today my 2008 unibody macbook developed a very strange issue, the fans will spin up over 7000rpm and then maybe calm down, but sometimes they dont and if i tip it up ever so slightly the fans calm down again, but as soon as i put it into the normal laptop position it does it again, i can get it to happen by pushing on the underneath of the macbook, re installed ML solved nothing, reset the smc and the others, still doing it.

Seems like my macbook doesn't like being in a certain posistion anymore, have a video that i will post a link to,

Also when it does this smc fan control or istat can't get an rpm reading, so maybe a loose connector?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HesDKbVpHUE

Turn your volume all the way up

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, that definitely sounds like a loose connector of some sort. Is it a unibody MacBook or an older one?

3. Jason-94 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes its a unibody mb, will open tomorrow and see if there's anything obvious

4. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Might be the heat sensor or its cable that is damaged. With some Macbook models there was shutdown symptoms because the CPU heat caused cables to go bad or something like that.

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

reconnect the fan, see if that helps.

could be the heat sensor, could be the fan going out, possibly need to reapply thermal paste.

6. Service Droid macrumors newbie

Very bizarre indeed. On the bench I'd want to reseat all fan connectors. If it keeps up I'd be trying a known good fan, followed by a known good logic board.