Strange Macbook Flicker.....

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dezeeb, Apr 26, 2008.

1. dezeeb macrumors newbie

dezeeb

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. Hoping you can help with a problem a friend of mine is having with his Macbook.

The LCD screen on his Macbook has started to flicker quite badly, but the strange thing is this only happens when the mouse pointer is in the first 4/5 of the screen (i.e from the Apple logo to roughly where the Airport icon normally is).

The RAM has been re-seated but not swapped out (yet). Our first idea was that the drivers for the graphics have somehow got screwed up, but he took it in the Apple store and the genius booted it from a USB hard disk with Leopard on and it was exactly the same. We also thought it may be a heat issue, as it gets gradually worse but as soon as the mouse pointer is moved to that last 5th of the screen it behaves normally. Very strange. Genius suggested logic board replacement but I thought I'd post on here on his behalf too see if anyone had any ideas before he went ahead and got it replaced...

Any ideas?:confused:

Thanks in advance.

2. esvienne macrumors member

Hi, I too had the weird macbook flicker problem but mine wasn't as severe as your friend's. I ended up reinstalling leopard, I thought maybe it was an issue with the new graphics card update. If you search up in the past 3 weeks on here there's a post with a similar problem. They had mentioned something about resetting the PRAM when you boot up... I don't remember what it said but if I find it I'll post it on here for you. Good luck :)

3. esvienne macrumors member