Strange Macbook restart

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alistair1990, May 14, 2007.

1. Alistair1990 macrumors member

Alistair1990

I just closed my Macbook C2D to take it upstairs, when closed I heard the start-up 'bong' sound, I opened the Macbook as I was rather confused to see the Macbook perform a standard restart. I had no applicatiosn running or anything that would demand a re-boot this is the first time it's happened.
    Everything seems fine now but still it was strange.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

As usual, keep everything backed up. Was anything recorded in your crash logs in the Console app in the Utilities folder? :)

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

If the battery is not seated correctly it can cause for momentary power bumps that could cause the computer to reset.

4. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

I have the same problem. After quite some searching i've found the folowing explaination.

"When you close the lid and make a too abrubt movement with your macbook the motion sensor interrupts the 'going to sleep activity' which causes the OS to boot."

I'm not sure if it's true or not. but i have experimented and as long as I close the lid, and wait till the sleepinglight flashes, and then move the macbook, then it NEVER boots, so it seems to me it might be true.....

5. Alistair1990 thread starter macrumors member

Alistair1990

Thanks, I'll bare that in mind next time - just strange that it happened twice in one evening and it never happened before in the 5 weeks or so I'v owned the Macbook...and it's just been updated! lol

6. RaMaz macrumors regular

RaMaz

u have to reset the PMU, (Power management unit)

take out the batt.
    leave un-plugged
    hold down power button for 6 seconds,
    then put batt. back in
    plug in
    Turn On

and that resets the power, my Macbook would restart every time i closed the lid, i did this and now it goes to sleep in stead of restarting,

Welcome :apple:

7. Alistair1990 thread starter macrumors member

Alistair1990

Thanks very much, hope that'll solve the problem.:)

8. RaMaz macrumors regular

RaMaz

NP dude,

9. Alistair1990 thread starter macrumors member

Alistair1990

Unfortunatly my Macbook has restarted when closed twice more since last time I posted, the last time it was on a flat table and not moved at all but it still restarted (so the motion sensor thoery isn't correct for my problem). I'll give Apple a call tomorrow...

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I never experienced this with my Macbook until 3 days ago. Now it happened 5 or 6 times. I'm really confused and this totally sucks. Anyone have any ideas? I really don't want to have to go to the Apple store, but I just might have to.

11. gems087 macrumors newbie

i'm kinda having a similar prob but a bit worse really, a lil while ago my macbook fell off the sofa, it didnt really have a hard landing but it now seems to be reallllyyyyy sensitive if its on and i move it, it restarts and often the same as you guys when closing the lid.....any suggestions????

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

gems087, it sounds like a loose connection internally. Take it to a technician to see if they can work out what's going on. :)

13. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

Well, i didn't exactly find a solution, but the problem has subsided

the problem persisted no matter what. But after 2 harddisks died (and were replaced under apple warranty) the third harddisk seems to work fine and since then the macbook doesn't crash

so the only conclusion i can draw is, that the faulty harddisks were the cause of the system crashes... just my experience!

14. iamjohnevan macrumors newbie

Hibernate+Sudden Motion = Bad

The problem is that when you close your computer, it tries to write the contents of RAM to the disk. When you pick up your computer, the sudden motion sensor kicks in so your drive won't get damaged but it also can't write. Since the state of your computer isn't in RAM anymore, but hasn't been completely written to disk yet, your computer has to restart. This is super stupid, but the way it is.
    You can turn off the hibernate mode from the terminal. Your battery will die slightly faster if you have your machine sleep for a long time, but this was preferable to me than loosing my work all the time.
    Here's a link:
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070302210328928

15. gems087 macrumors newbie

yeah but the prob im having isnt really when the lid is shut but when its open if u move it, it restarts :S

16. kanketsu macrumors member

Hello, recent Macbook owner here with similar issue :)

In the past 3 months, it happened about 5-6 times. It's not often enough to draw solid conclusion, but here are some notes about it:

1. The lid was open when it restart. (I set the Mac to sleep if it is inactive for 10 minutes.)

2. The Mac DID went to sleep (the light indicator was pulsating before it happened)

3. In other words, you can say that it restarts while sleeping, not restarts instead of sleeping.

4. It seems that there was nothing in the system log indicating the Mac shutdown itself.

5. On the last occasion, I put the sleeping Macbook on a small chair. I remembered bumped onto the chair and 2 seconds later I was greeted by the login screen. Now the sudden motion sensor possibly had something to do about it, but I can't say the same about the other occasions: the macbook was left on my desk in a locked room.. and there were not any earthquakes or something then.

6. On every occasion, the power cord was plugged in (not running on battery - the battery was attached though)

Should I be worry? I mean, although this issue looks serious, it doesn't seem to affect my work at all - the machine never restarts while I was using it.