Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I have had a couple of weird Macbook issues with my Macbook in the last week. First it didn't go to sleep properly and the fans were going on full, I had to remove the battery and restart it.

Then this morning my Macbook didn't go to sleep properly and when I got to Uni it was warm, I opened it up and the backlight was off but the screen still on, the backlight wasn't switchable on with the backlight keys, though the mouse seemed to be beachballing, again to use it I had to remove the battery, it now appears to be working correctly.

All the threads on this have been archived. What is going wrong? Normally it is usable on my knee so doesn't seem to have a heat problem.

Do I need to take it into an Apple Store?

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Not sure what is going on with sleep cycles on Mac portables. It seems there may be a problem with Mac OS X 10.4.8, as these issues seemed to arrive after it was released.

Up until this morning, I was not having any issues on my MBP when it comes to sleeping. But when I closed the display this morning, it refused to go to sleep, acting much in the same way as the OP, but I didn't have to take out the battery to get it to work again.

Once 10.4.8 was released, I noticed a minute difference in how my MBP went to sleep. When I close the display, the backlight does not shut off immediately like it used to. The Apple logo stays illuminated for a few seconds before shutting off.

TO the OP> you shouldn't have to take your battery all the way out to get your Mac to turn off. Try holding down the power button until it shuts off. This will save you the hassle of taking out the battery.

altogether

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2006
I had the same problem shorty after the macbook launch. I left it and went to work then came home 8 hours later with it blowing air at high speed and not waking up.

Macbook's been quite the adventure -_-

dunc85

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2006
Just started with the sleep problem myself today. My MBP sleeps fine if you press the power button, but if you close the lid the fans will stay on.
The light on the front will glow, but will not pulsate like it should.

mannix87

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2005
in the southeast
It might be related to the random shutdown issues of the MB; Apple just released a firmware designed to address the internal monitoring problems of the MB. according to the site, this problem results in the MB fan turning on for no reason/ involuntary shutdown thinking that it's overheating. just download it. I installed it yesterday but I'm not sure if it did the trick, my MB was fine for weeks then it went berserk yesterday; that's when I stumbled into this update from Apple.

TonySwartz

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2004
Mine did this the other day, as well as a couple I know other people who own MBPs. My guess is it's software related...this MacBook has been fine with sleep up until that one time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.