Strange magsafe problem - not the fuse

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bossworld, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Bossworld macrumors member

Noticed my macbook wasn't charging despite being plugged into the mains.

had noticed yesterday that the magsafe LED was very dim at one point but then it was fine again.

Anyways, tried both plugs (the stubby one and the long cord) and neither worked. Tried the stubby plug on my Apple iPod charger and it doesn't work so thought it must surely be the fuse.

But then I tried the Apple iPod charger stubby plug on the magsafe, and it still didn't work. I then put it back on the USB charger and it still worked fine.

Tried the same (working) fuse on the long cord, there's still the spark when you plug the two halves together but the mac refuses to charge.

--

So, is this a problem with my macbook? If so seems a bit strange for both fuses to go and the mac still be damaged? I've only got applecare left for another week so will head straight down there tomorrow.

I've found this KB article so I've printed it out. There's no damage to the magsafe or fraying cable though

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1713?viewlocale=en_Uk

2. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I never used sleep on my Mac before because the Window's one was horrible on my last notebook so I stayed away from it. Been using it recently and I noticed the same exact thing this morning where the green light was almost not there. I thought I was hallucinating or something because I was really tired.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It's a "common" problem with the magsafe adapter, have Apple replace it.

4. vintagemacsrule macrumors newbie

is the dimming an issue worthy of replacement?