Strange marks along side of Siri Remote

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bronksy, Nov 7, 2015.

1. bronksy macrumors 6502

bronksy

So a few days into my purchase I was closely inspecting the remote. I notices along the edge where the glass meets the metal there seems to be what looks like exposed metal bits. They can't be because it's glass but it looks like it - when you hold the remote up at the side (the long edge) I can see these markings. They are on both sides. I don't know if it's damage or just some odd refraction from the inside when the light catches it.
    I've tried to take a shot of it - it's not light bouncing off because they don't move when the controller is moved.

Anyone else have this?
    IMG_0487.jpg IMG_0488.jpg

2. Longkeg macrumors regular

I think you're just seeing the sides of the buttons. If I'm seeing what you're seeing the marks seem to correspond with the top and bottom edges of the buttons. I think it's a distortion caused by the cutouts in the glass cover.

3. bronksy thread starter macrumors 6502

bronksy

Possibly - they don't exactly tally with the buttons but could be distorted.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I can see the same thing on mine in the edge of the glass. Four dots on the left and three on the right just like yours and perfectly lined up with the button edges. The glass edge feels smooth though. I wonder if it is just some kind of printed circuit just beneath the glass?

5. bronksy thread starter macrumors 6502

bronksy

Ah thanks for confirming. Was about to blame the kid.

It does look metallic though. As if the black has been scraped off the top glass.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I think it's just light caught by the edges of the glass near the button cut outs, and shining though the edge of the glass.