Strange marks along side of Siri Remote

bronksy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
London
So a few days into my purchase I was closely inspecting the remote. I notices along the edge where the glass meets the metal there seems to be what looks like exposed metal bits. They can't be because it's glass but it looks like it - when you hold the remote up at the side (the long edge) I can see these markings. They are on both sides. I don't know if it's damage or just some odd refraction from the inside when the light catches it.
I've tried to take a shot of it - it's not light bouncing off because they don't move when the controller is moved.

Anyone else have this?
IMG_0487.jpg
IMG_0488.jpg

Longkeg

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2014
S. Florida
I think you're just seeing the sides of the buttons. If I'm seeing what you're seeing the marks seem to correspond with the top and bottom edges of the buttons. I think it's a distortion caused by the cutouts in the glass cover.

bronksy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
London
I think you're just seeing the sides of the buttons. If I'm seeing what you're seeing the marks seem to correspond with the top and bottom edges of the buttons. I think it's a distortion caused by the cutouts in the glass cover.
Possibly - they don't exactly tally with the buttons but could be distorted.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I can see the same thing on mine in the edge of the glass. Four dots on the left and three on the right just like yours and perfectly lined up with the button edges. The glass edge feels smooth though. I wonder if it is just some kind of printed circuit just beneath the glass?

bronksy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
London
I can see the same thing on mine in the edge of the glass. Four dots on the left and three on the right just like yours and perfectly lined up with the button edges. The glass edge feels smooth though. I wonder if it is just some kind of printed circuit just beneath the glass?
Ah thanks for confirming. Was about to blame the kid.

It does look metallic though. As if the black has been scraped off the top glass.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I think it's just light caught by the edges of the glass near the button cut outs, and shining though the edge of the glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.