Strange mbp overheating...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djkoen1, May 16, 2011.

1. djkoen1 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I've got the new mbp 15' i7 2.2. The past 3-4 days its heating so much fans go like crazy and stuff like that. I assumed it was because of working on illustrator, web browser, itunes and so on which I wouldn't also feel its normal for this specific model but whatever. Today I had the browser only running but after a while it was doing the same. I've downloaded the istat pro, the fans rpm were around 6600 and the cpu temperature a bit more than 80C. I thought this is not normal at all. I've opened the activity monitor and noticed that there was an AdobeResource something(i dont know what it is) file that was running and was using 86% of cpu:confused:..... i've shutted down and the mac went back to normal straight away, 56C and 2000 rpm....
    Any ideas on this??

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Yes, often the culprit for a hot computer is a program that is hanging and hogging a ton of CPU. But to be clear, 80 degrees isn't overheating. It's hot, but definitely still within the specifications for the CPU. For instance, my core2duo 2008 aluminum macbook often times runs between 85 and 89 degrees. Yes it is hot, but not overheating. Overheating is when your computer throttles itself back or shuts down to protect it from hardware failure.

3. djkoen1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes its definetely not overheating, but having a new model like this and when running just a browser and the fans go like you're rendering in some 3D program its almost overheating for me:) But how did that program stayed there after shutting down....:confused:

4. r3vo714 macrumors newbie

It could be set to auto-start...

Can't remember the name of the program for some reason, but there is a program that will allow you to manually control the fan speeds of your MBP. Also, there is another program that will let you select which GPU you are using that will cut down on the heat while web browsing.

What browser do you use?

5. djkoen1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Firefox. I think the problem was sth with the adobe suite

6. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

Firefox often goes nuts with me under Windows. It's usually near the end of the day, after it's been on for several hours. It takes 50+% of CPU and runs my temp up until warning sounds go off. I have to use Task Manager to fully kill it. The CPU usage and temp goes down immediately. It's been this way for the past several versions of Firefox.