Strange message from strange number...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by e93to, Mar 31, 2016.

1. e93to macrumors 6502a

e93to

[​IMG]

I entered the address on Chrome by accident (I wanted to search on Google but instead I entered the address...). And Chrome blocked it with "deceptive site ahead" warning sign.

I entered the address on Google, and apparently it originates from Amsterdam...

So... What is this? Some Dutch guy sending malicious address to random phone numbers?

2. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

Social engineering scam of some kind. I don't click on links or answer/call numbers I don't know. If they're not on my contact list they go to voicemail.
    I got one from Nigeria.

3. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Something you don't want to mess with.

I ignore all unknown incomings, and block calls like crazy.

The latest scam I'm seeing is people spoofing a phone number in Caller ID that has the first 6 digits the same as my number,

so area code + first 3 to trick you into thinking this must be someone I know/local. Not.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Yep, NEVER click on a site or address sent in a message or email. So much happening these days. I get so many scammer phone calls that if they are not in my contract list I send them right to voice mail.

The Federal DO NOT CALL LIST is a very bad joke on the general public.

5. e93to thread starter macrumors 6502a

e93to

I've received emails ($1 million inheritance, etc) and calls (free trip to Bahamas), but this is the first time I received a text message. This actually scares me more than emails...

6. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I have actually seen spoofed calls that the caller ID was POLICE. There is no limit to what these people will do.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 31, 2016 ---
    To keep it to a minimum do not fall for these ads that want you to send a text to a number they are giving you. Everything from the local sub sandwich place to home depot wants to get in your text messages.

7. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

You should learn what malicious websites are all about rather than be scared all your life. Go click on it, nothing's gonna happen by you just clicking on it. I've attached a screenshot. It is a spoofed login page for TD banknorth it seems.

Of course, don't actually input any of your information there:) spoof-TD.PNG

8. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

How is the Nigerian prince doing. Have not spoken to him in a while. He get that gold shipping thing sorted out?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2016 ---
    Sending this message from beach in Bahamas, where I am having wonderful time spending my million dollars on booze, coke, and girls. Boy am I glad that long lost relative remembered me in their will. o_O

9. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

He's very unhappy you've neglected him lately. He said his sister's gone into the hospital now. Which would make his father with a heart problem, his mother facing prostate surgery, and now his sister with a brain tumor.
    But the gold stuff is sorted out.

All kidding aside, phishing scams have gotten very very good lately. I got one recently that almost made me react. I stopped from jumping when I noticed the date of the supposed order I'd placed, which was in the non U.S. format, and I'm currently stateside. Had I not noticed that, I sadly would have clicked the link.

10. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

You know what they say......Just say no, don't click the link.

This message brought to you by the council for not supporting phishing scams.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

12. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

One of the reasons why I went back to an iPhone was the ability to block calls from scammers. I get them every so often and block each and every one.

I really don't use texting so I ignore that too.

13. Merkyworks macrumors 6502