Strange message on screen

ohforf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2011
UK
Yesterday I received a message to my iPhone 5s that I hadn't seen before. The home screen went completely grey and in the middle of the screen was a message from a mobile phone number saying I am due some compensation for a car accident. Obviously a scam! I unlocked the phone and went to the messages app but the message wasn't there.

I didn't think to screen shot it at the time. Has anyone else ever had this type of message? It looked like a system message rather that an SMS or iMessage? Phone has never been jail broke.

Thanks in advance

sohaloh

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
London, Ontario
Yesterday I received a message to my iPhone 5s that I hadn't seen before. The home screen went completely grey and in the middle of the screen was a message from a mobile phone number saying I am due some compensation for a car accident. Obviously a scam! I unlocked the phone and went to the messages app but the message wasn't there.

I didn't think to screen shot it at the time. Has anyone else ever had this type of message? It looked like a system message rather that an SMS or iMessage? Phone has never been jail broke.

Thanks in advance
Thats called a Flash SMS, its a way companies SPAM you, don't worry about it.

sophiamendezzz1

macrumors regular
May 20, 2014
I've never heard such a thing! That's really scary.....what else do these companies have access to do on my phone?!

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Thanks in advance
If you are on verizon your account preferences could be set to prevent this type of message from unknown callers. Also iMessage can be blocked from unknown callers.