Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spellbound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Today, I had the brilliant idea to register on a public jabber server (jaber-hispano.org) in order to be able tu use iChat with my MSN Messenger account. After completing the registration form, I had to enter mi messenger account, so I did.

Later, I configured iChat with this jabber account and tons of pop-up windows appeared for each of my messenger contacts telling me I had to ask them for permission to add them to my contact list. Therefore, I ended up with an iChat contact list where each contact says "waiting authorization" or something. Since I didn'¡t want to wait for that to happen since my contacts already authorize me and I wouldn't wait for them to do it again, i deleted this jabber account on iChat and returned to regular MSN Messenger for Mac.

For my surpise, it won't let me connect!!! It says "the service is not available" but i suspect is related to the jabber account registration because I can connect correctly to my hotmail account. So far I've tried:

1. Deleting the jabber account from iChat
2. Deleting the MSN service from the newly created jabber account
3. Deleting MSN Messenger and reinstalling
4.-Changing my MSN password so the jabber service can't reach it.
5. Trying to connect from a windows computer where I get error 81000378: "contact list unaivailable"
6. I also tried Adium and it connect but my entire contact list appears offline and I now most of them are connected.

Please HELP!!! :(

Also, I tried to connect using a different MSN account bout it doesn't work either... seems the jabber thing messed up my messenger account and iChat with jabber account messed up my Mac!

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
I cannot connect with the Mac Messenger client either.

Latest with prefs deleted and everything.

Had to resort to Adium :rolleyes:

WTF is going on :rolleyes:

Was working last night :/

If I try and sign in it makes Adium sign out then drops out saying it cannot connect service is not availible! Grrr

spellbound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
I just connected via Messenger client... seems everything was not related to the jabber thing after all...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.