Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matonuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2007
Hi guys and girls,

I've had a strange issue develop with my iPhone recently that's bugging me. Here's what's happening:

When my iPhone plays music through either it's headphone jack or the pin connector (i.e through a dock or FM transmitter), sound is played on both sides (left headphone and right headphones), but it is only playing the right channel, and not the left.

So when i play a song by The Beatles for example, music will play through both the left and right speakers, but I will only get half the song (as you may know The Beatles split a lot of their tracks into left and right).

What further interests me is that if I switch the iPhone settings to play in Mono (in accessibility settings), both channels will play in the mono setting, so I can hear both sides.

If I play a song through the iPhone's speaker, I can hear both sides (but I'm guessing that's because it's playing in Mono, as it's just one speaker) and I can slide the L/R balance to hear both sides of the track by themselves.

This doesn't particularly frustrate me, as it's not a big issue, but I'm an engineer, and that I couldn't fix it myself was a little annoying! Ahaha

It's and iPhone 4 on the new iOS5.

I'm guessing a iPhone restore would be my best option?

Thanks for any comments/help!

:)

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
You would be correct. If the problem persists I would contact Apple Support online. The store geniuses would most likely have little to no knowledge of this, not to completely discredit them, but I think that they aren't really educated on this particular issue because it is not very widespread. I however experienced this back when I got my launch day 3GS. A simple restore fixed it though.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Hi guys and girls,

I've had a strange issue develop with my iPhone recently that's bugging me. Here's what's happening:

When my iPhone plays music through either it's headphone jack or the pin connector (i.e through a dock or FM transmitter), sound is played on both sides (left headphone and right headphones), but it is only playing the right channel, and not the left.

So when i play a song by The Beatles for example, music will play through both the left and right speakers, but I will only get half the song (as you may know The Beatles split a lot of their tracks into left and right).

What further interests me is that if I switch the iPhone settings to play in Mono (in accessibility settings), both channels will play in the mono setting, so I can hear both sides.

If I play a song through the iPhone's speaker, I can hear both sides (but I'm guessing that's because it's playing in Mono, as it's just one speaker) and I can slide the L/R balance to hear both sides of the track by themselves.

This doesn't particularly frustrate me, as it's not a big issue, but I'm an engineer, and that I couldn't fix it myself was a little annoying! Ahaha

It's and iPhone 4 on the new iOS5.

I'm guessing a iPhone restore would be my best option?

Thanks for any comments/help!

:)

Iphone has only 1 speaker. So, how can you hear it from 2 speakers? :rolleyes:. hence 1 side is speaker and 1 side is microphone.

wewemutu

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
I phone playing in mono

Hi All,

I also experienced the same "i phone playing problem" mono and wondered why.

Well, dont take yours for repair,try this first.

On your iphone

1) Go to Settings....
2)scroll to General....
3) while inside general scroll down to accessibility.....
4)while in accessibility, scroll down to hearing... scroll down futher to Mono Audio.....swith off mono audio.

There you have it.

Listen to your music in stereo.

If this doesnt work, Take it for repair.

Good luck everyone. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.