Strange Network/Internet Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dr. Cheesesteak, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Dr. Cheesesteak macrumors member

Here is my setup:

DSL Modem bridged to Airport Extreme 802.11n (Older Model - not dual band)

1 PC Running Ubuntu - Ethernet into Airport
    1 Mac Pro 10.5 - Ethernet into Airport
    1 Macbook 10.6 - Wireless
    1 Macbook Pro 10.6 - Wireless
    1 PS3 - Ethernet to Airport Express/Wireless

For some reason, all of the Macs on the network are having bizarre connection issues with particular websites, and I cannot figure out what the cause is.

The main culprit is google, and any google related site including youtube. For instance, if I go to my gmail, many times it will not get past the initial "Loading" page you normally see for only a second or two. If it gets past that, the subjects of the messages will load, but where my chat and calendar normally show up it just says something to the effect of "Failed to Load" in a gray box. With youtube, the video pages will load, but instead of the video there is just a giant black box where no video ever loads. The same thing happens with other video sites like hulu, cbs.com, abc.com, etc. I can refresh the page a bunch and eventually it will load, but it takes a long time.

Oddly enough some sites, macrumors included, seem to have no issues loading at all.

This is true on all of the Macs, whether I use Firefox or Safari. I would say it's my connection, however the Ubuntu machine has no problems whatsoever. I can check side by side and the Ubuntu box has no problem opening pages that the Macs are just choking to death on. It takes ages on the Macs just to load the youtube.com homepage, but it is up in seconds on the Ubuntu machine. I assume the PS3 is fine as well - I don't use the browser but have had no problems with the online features of the PS3.

I'm going nuts trying to sort this out so I thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts.

I've tried switching to OpenDNS, which actually made things worse (Google pages just stopped loading altogether). I've flushed the DNS cache, rebooted everything numerous times, disabled all plugins/extra apps, reformatted one of the machines (I needed to go back to 10.5 anyway) and just nothing seems to work. :(

Thoughts?

2. warning9 macrumors newbie

I am having the same kind of problems except sometimes now the pages will not load at all. I thought it was the fact that I was using OpenDNS so I shut it off, it didn't make any difference. Do you know if your TimeMachine is backing up when these problems start to occur?

3. Dr. Cheesesteak thread starter macrumors member

Well, the problem is the worst on the Mac Pro, which is the only Mac I am using Time Machine on.... but I haven't noticed it being either better or worse when a backup is happening. It's pretty much consistently bad.

The TM drive is also an internal drive, so I'm not sure if that could affect the network connection when the backup happens. I'll try disabling Time Machine for a bit and see if it does anything.