Strange network transmit rate - believed to be software related

Discussion in 'macOS' started by snverhallen, Mar 15, 2010.

1. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

So I just got a new, N standard, gigabit, 2.4 GHz router (link). Got it all setup, works great except I noticed something strange. In 10.6.2 I get a transmit rate of 130 (option click airport). I thought it was because my hardware didn't support simultaneous 20 MHz / 40 MHz channel width to get the full 300 mbps. I then switched to Windows XP on the same Mac and was surprised to find that XP reported a constant transmit rate of 240 ~ 270 mbps.

So apparently my hardware is capable of theoretically achieving a transmit rate of 300 mbps (proven with XP) except Mac OS X doesn't support it. I do remember reading something about this somewhere. I can't really thing what else it would be.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

snverhallen

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

My Mac OS X AirPort Menubar icon shows a transmit rate of 270, but I doubt that this is actually the transfer rate, as it would be 33MB/s and I get 7MB/s at top speed anyway.

Do you use your wireless network for lots and lots of data transfer?

I use Mac OS X 10.6.2 with an AirPort Extreme Base Station btw..

3. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't necessarily use my network for lots of data transfer, mostly streaming of media between my Mac and PS3. But I just find it funny why I'm topping out at 130. Is your router or wireless access point 2.4 GHz or 5.0 GHz?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

5GHz and currently my transfer rate is 216, and now back to 270.

What kind of speeds do you get during transfers?

Activity Monitor > Network Activity or iStat Menus might be of help.

5. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahh, that's it. On the 5 GHz band it's known to work fine (to get the 300 mbps) it's just on the 2.4 GHz band using simultaneous 20 MHz / 40 MHz channel widths that Mac OS X is being weird.