Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Ok, so this is a Windows Laptop problem, well, it possibly is anyway, but I was hoping someone could lend a hand. The low down is this:

My GF has a Windows PeeCee and cable internet. She doesn't have wireless (Yet... Her xmas prezzie off me will be) so her network cable gets a bit of stick. Anyway, that gave up the ghost the other day so they got the cable company round to fix it. Replaced the cable, pretty simple job. However, her laptop will not now connect to the internet, the cable company bloke had it working on his laptop, but it wouldn't work on hers so he just left saying it was a problem with her laptop (****** service, I know) however, it's not her laptop, at least I don't think so. It gets 'Limited or no connectivity' her laptop is sending data packets, but not receiving them back.

I took my iBook round 2day and the internet works fine on that, so I thought it must be a problem with her laptop. I brought it [Her laptop] home today to mess on with while she was at work. I plugged it into my internet (same cable supplier as her) and nothing. The hardware seemed to work alright, because it saw when I plugged the cable in and when I unplugged it, just wouldn't connect. So I did a Windows reinstall, thinking maybe one of the drivers had decided it had lost the will to live and killed itself, Windows after all.

Yey! My internet now works on her laptop, great I thinks, driver problem. Sorted. Not quite, the internet is still getting 'limited or no connectivity' on her internet, but it works fine using mine. :mad:

So I have tried disabling and enabling the connection, simply tried going to 'Repair connection' and I have also tried entering all the IP and DNS settings myself, nothing changes. It's really got me stumped, and I understand that was a massive post (thanks if you have got this far) but I really have no idea why my internet works on her laptop, and her internet does not, but her internet works on my laptop...

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
No firewalls, stopped them all. Sorry, should have put that on the original post.

Ethernet cable should be the same, bloke should have replaced it with the same one, will check fo' sure tho.

Post is 100 Mb/sec but the network at her house is only 10, it connects through the cable television box which I believe acts like a router. Doesn't seem to be a problem with the box tho, as it connects ok on my laptop. Laptop connects at 100 on my network ok though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.