strange noise, lose parts?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SXR, Jan 3, 2010.

1. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Hey guys,

Recently I noticed that when I shake my iphone a bit and listen carefully, i hear a ticking noise, like some part is loose or something.

I think that one of my speakers at the bottom is loose in the iphone housing and is making the noise when i shake my iphone.

Also, when i put my finger on the right speaker when playing music, 80 percent of the volume is gone. Its like the left speaker doesnt even work , cause i think thats a speaker :p

The iPhone itself is working fine , I am bumping in to what i think are a few OS bugs - but only ocassionally.

Please let me know your thoughts and are there any people with the same problem?

Thanks.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The iPhone only has one speaker. This is very well documented on this site as well as in your owner's manual. Also, on this site you can find out that by shaking the phone a faint rattle is heard. This is normal for the 3GS.

The site also has a search engine found here:http://mroogle.*************/

OS bugs do not include reduction of audio when you cover the single speaker or a faint rattle in the phone when shook. :)

3. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

Thanks for clearing that up for me though. I know OS bugs dont cause that , I was just mentioning in anticipation that i might have a faulty unit or something.
    I should've read the manual when i got the phone. But why is that faint rattle there then - i wonder wht is causing it lol.

The rattle is coming from the bottom it looks like. not the auto-focus camera.

4. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

The feint rattle you can hear is auto focus mechanism on the 3GS it is movable so shaking the devices moves the part. My iPhone does it as well.

5. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

I see , but the rattle seems to be quite loud and i get the sense that its coming from the bottom of the device?

6. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

My camera autofocus can get quite loud when in use (taking a pic), and its the same rattle I hear when I shake the phone lightly, the autofouc mecanism makes more noise than most would think.

7. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

My mute switch rattles as I have it in the mute position all the time so it becomes loose after time. I dont hear a rattle when its in the non-muted position though.

8. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

my first thought when i heared the rattle was that my sleep/wake button was loose or something - doesnt the silent switch trigger itself on your iPhone?