Strange noise on rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by karilynn, Apr 24, 2013.

1. karilynn macrumors regular

karilynn

Hi all

I have the strangest issue. I just bought a brand new rMBP last weekend after saving for months and months and I am experiencing a very strange noise.

I have a weird ticking/clicking noise that seems to occur when I use the trackpad or type on the keys. It almost sounds like a cricket chirping and it's very faint. It's not loud, but it's definitely driving me insane and after spending this much money, it annoys me quite a bit.

After doing some investigative work ;), I have figured out that this problem only occurs whenever the power supply is plugged into the laptop, charging the battery.

I did some google searching and can't seem to find anything on this issue.

Has anybody heard of this or know why it's happening? Perhaps I can do something at home to fix this or maybe I need to exchange it? Kinda bums me out to do an exchange seeing as I got a Samsung screen! Gah! :mad:

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Are you using the grounded (3-pin) plug? The long charging cable that is.

3. karilynn thread starter macrumors regular

karilynn

Yes, I am actually. Should I try not using it?

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

AFAIK most if not all Macs are not grounded, the ground just stops at the charger.
    There is no need to ground low Voltage devices, I can't recall I have seen any low voltage device with ground.

(Low voltage =< 48 Volts, ground as in Earthing-not common/0 Volts)

5. Outkast27 macrumors 6502

Could it be coming from you speakers? Try plugging in headphones to so your speakers are disabled and see if you can still hear the sound...

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well you can try, but I don't think it has to do with the noise.

When you use the two pin connector that is ungrounded, sometimes some static electricity develops. I was wondering if that might cause the noise. Since you are using the grounded cable, it seems unlikely.

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

There is a funny feeling that you can get when you brush lightly across the aluminum surface near the touchpad, when the MBP is plugged in without grounding. I'm not sure if it happens on all machines, but I experienced it on mine.

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I have explained this in quite a few threads, it has to do with the common wire, if the common wire is not 0 Volts you get that tingly feeling, where I am originally from the common wire is connected to the grounding pin when it enters the Electricity Providers Meter.
    In a lot of countries this is not required.
    If you are bare feet on a concrete or tile you will fell it (much) more than on a wooden floor or a carpet.
    Sitting in a couch or on a wooden chair and then lifting your feet will also change it, not saying you should.:p

9. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

That have not happen to me on neither of my Apple machines home. If it bothers you suggest you go to the Apple store and check it there, it may be a defect of the machine.