Strange noise when I tilt my computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djayed123, Feb 6, 2011.

1. djayed123 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I recently got myself a macbook pro.
    Sometimes, when I lift up my macbook to move it and it tilts a little, there is a weird noise.

It sounds exactly like if there was a cd rom in my computer being tilted and scratching.

In game consoles and stuff if you have a CD rom in and move the system, it makes a screeching noise that makes you go "oh shoot"

I don't have any cd roms in and it seems like its coming form the right inner part of my computer.

Is this normal? should I be worried about ruining anything in my macbook?

Thanks

2. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

might be the hdd head stopping due to the sudden motion sensor.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Patient to doctor: "Doc, it hurts when I do this."
    Doctor to patient: "Then don't do that!"

The sudden motion sensor shouldn't make a screeching sound. It's more of a clicking sound.

Apple Portables: Hard drives and noise

4. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

Could also be the fan, or do you have a CD in the drive. As you have stated when you move a console with the CD spinning, in this case the fan, it can make some noise. The spinning object has a mass moment of inertia, which resists changes to the angle of rotation, ie like when you ride a bike, the spinning wheels resist you falling over. A fast spinning CD or fan will also resist changes in orientation, so when you change the angle, the cd/fan blades stay in the original orientation longer than the rest of the machine and can touch up agains the other components of the device and cause some noise before it aligns to the new orientation.

5. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Sounds to me like the HDD spinning is being inhibited or slowed down by it rubbing up against part of the case.

6. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

i've got a 2 day old mbpro 13" and i get a weird sound every once in a while and the only time i can figure it out - its got to be the SMSensor the only time i can get it to do it is tap where the hard drive is and also rock it slightly...

not sure - hit an apple store...

7. djayed123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response, but I know of the clicking noise. The clicking noise is heard when I start up my macbook.

This is not the same noise.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, I know. I posted that for the benefit of jetblk328i. As I said, the SMS makes a clicking, not a screeching sound, as you described.