Strange noises coming from Superdrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iBacon, Jan 27, 2012.

1. iBacon macrumors newbie

So, I've been looking all over the place, but couldn't seem to find one solution for this:
    My 2009 Macbook Pro just recently started to make strange noises when I insert any DVD/CD into the Superdrive and then spits them out again (It does it when it's done doing those noises, there is no option to eject the DVD). Also, it doesn't show up in the Finder menu, during the time the disc is actually in the disc drive. The disc does not seem to be spinning, it's more of a uniform sound, which repeats itself a few times (it is the same with all discs) before spitting out the disc again.
    I tried fixing it with Disk Utility, however, instead of showing the name of the Drive, it simply displays "SuperDrive", without the option of Verifying/Repairing Disk/Disk Permissions. It just shows how to "erase a rewritable CD or DVD so you can write to it again".
    This issue really bugs me, so any suggestions would be appreciated. ;)

2. pscraig macrumors member

Get some canned air and blow out any dust that may have built up inside the optical drive, especially if it is not used frequently.

If you open up your Macbook Pro and try to re-seat the data connectors. This is a long shot, but worth a try since the next step is a new optical drive. Check eBay.