iPhone Strange notification/sound glitch with my iPhone 5s running ios 8.1.2

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by KacieB, Dec 29, 2014.

1. KacieB macrumors newbie

KacieB

I am having a strange notification/sound glitch with my iPhone 5s running ios 8.1.2 (but had the same problem with 8.1.1). What happens is this....I'll have my iPhone sitting on my desk with the screen up. Occasionally the screen will "wake up" for some notification and the notification sound is just a small blip, like the speaker is going out/defective, but there is no notification displayed on the lock screen. I'll pull down the notification center to try and see what notification (which app) may have generated the notification but I am unable to tell. In other words, if this happens at 10:15 for example, there is no notification that appears to have occurred at 10:15. I have gone thru all the apps for which I receive push notifications to check my settings, but it's nearly impossible to tell which app(s) is causing this issue. This problem is intermittent, like 3-5 times per week, and seems to have started a month or so ago.

This past weekend I upgraded to ios 8.1.2, then reset all device settings and re-configured everything, but I am still having the same problem. The only thing I haven't tried is a complete restore then set up iPhone as new.

My speaker seems to work just fine for calls, music, etc. The only time I notice any sort of weird noises/sounds is when this happens.

Has anyone seen this before? Suggestions?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The sound you're describing happens to me if I get too many notifications back to back. It's as if the notification sound doesn't complete

3. KacieB thread starter macrumors newbie

KacieB

I wondered about that too as it sometimes seems to happen when there are already notifications on the lock screen. But, I've also seen it happen when there have not been any other active notifications. I'm stumped.

4. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Almost like a static discharge sound through the speaker? I have heard that as well as others on iPads with the latest software. I think its just an error in a sound file that will most likely go away in one of the coming update. Should hope so anyhow. The point is, I don't think its hardware based on the other cases I have read about since 8.1.2

5. KacieB thread starter macrumors newbie

KacieB

I guess it kinda sounds like static discharge thru the speaker. I've had this happen twice since I posted the original message. The first time there were some other notifications on the screen already, and pulling down the notification center didn't reveal any info about what alert I may have missed.

It happened again yesterday when there were no other notifications on my screen. I pulled down the notification center again and saw an alert right at the same time for the app Errands. Funny thing is, I receive several daily alerts from Errands (all with the same alert sound) and they seem to come thru just fine.

I'll continue to watch and see if the notification/sound glitch seems to be isolated to this app - at least its a good place to start. I still welcome any feedback/suggestions from others if they've had this same issue. TIA.

6. KacieB, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014

KacieB thread starter macrumors newbie

KacieB

Same thing happened just now, no notifications on the screen, and appears to have come from the Alarmed app....so not app specific.

ETA: happened a 3rd time today, this time with a calendar notification. The way I could tell this time was that I got a notification on my work phone (Android) and on my PC which are all synced to my corporate exchange account.

Starting to get frustrated now.....does anyone think a complete restore and set up as new phone would help? Or does this sound like a device hardware problem?