Strange Occurrence with iPhoto when dragging pictures to the desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by adamlbiscuit, Oct 13, 2008.

1. adamlbiscuit macrumors regular

Hi all. Heres my next in a line of problems I've been having with my macbook. This time its iPhoto giving me problems. It seems that occasionally I can't drag photo's and pictures out of the iPhoto window and onto the desktop. Its very strange and I don't know what to do. I'm using iPhoto 6 so I'm quite outdated but still...

When I try to drag a photo to the desktop I only get a white no entry sign and not the usual green plus. Let me tell you this problem is on and off, I can drag the exact same photo to the desktop one minute then the next I can't. Its very annoying and I've had this problem for aaages but it hasn't done it in months, now its reappeared I want to get rid of it once and for all.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

First things first you should check if there's a software update, you should be running iPhoto 6.0.6. If there isn't one or the install doesn't fix the issue, I would create a test user account on your Mac, import your Desktop Pictures folder from Macintosh HD/Library/Desktop Pictures, and test out the same dragging/dropping feature there. If it works fine on that user account, pull the iPhoto.plist file from your user account/library/preferences and also the iphoto caches folder from user account/library/caches and try again. If it doesn't work in either account you can safely reinstall iPhoto from your restore discs that came with the computer after removing the iPhoto related files from Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support and Macintosh HD/Library/Receipts.