Strange OS X Lines and Hardware Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JudasConstant, Jan 12, 2010.

1. JudasConstant macrumors newbie

Hello Apple people,

I am having a few issues with my MacBook recently and I was wondering if anyone had any insight into what might be the cause. Recently my MacBook's USB ports, firewire port and optical drive have all ceased to be recognized by my macbook. Everything else seems to be in working order in terms of hardware, but I've been getting strange graphics problems with Mac OS X.

For Example:
    [​IMG]

See those weird lines? and the Apple logo at the top? Strange, right?

And I know what you're thinking– it's not just a problem I have with Transmission. It has occurred in programs from Photoshop to Safari to iTunes and back. I can't for the life of me figure out a reasonable explanation except to say that my computer is slowly dying of unknown causes. I've tried resetting the PMU (or whatever it's called now on intel macs) using the recommended procedure.

Anyone have a similar experience? Are the graphics and hardware issues related somehow? At this point I'm about to break down and take it to the geniuses, but seeing as how I'm pulling in a hefty $450 paycheck every two weeks, I'd like to see if there's some way to repair this myself and save some of that cash for bread, cheese and vitamin c tablets.

Thanks! :eek:

PS: It's a ....

Plastic Black MacBook
    2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4 GB RAM
    250 GB Harddrive

2. macdim macrumors 6502

I have the same thing happen every once in a while. Reboot fixes it. Must be a Snow Leopard issue (which I assume you're using) because this never happened in Leopard.

3. JudasConstant thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying, but when you say it happens to you all the time, do you mean the weird graphics problems or the optical drive and usb drive failures too? Rebooting will usually solve the graphics problems for a while, but so far I can't get the computer to recognize and of the hardware mentioned before (though I can hear the optical drive spinning merrily at startup).

4. macdim macrumors 6502

No, only the screen lines. You should definitely take the computer in for the other problems.