Strange OS X problems....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Topher15, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

1. I've had trouble dismounting disk images. When I restart they disappear. Eventually it happens again. (Right now they dismount fine.)
    2. System Prefs crashes when ever I select a select one of my own image folders in the Screen Saver tab.
    3. The download stack (when it's viewed as a grid) kills the dock after a few seconds.

Any ideas what's behind this?

For what it's worth... I've networked (AFP) my to Mac together a few days ago, and I installed 4GB of memory yesterday (which passed a test using Rember). The problem with the .dmg files happened before I installed the memory so I don't think it is that.

Two other issue, which now seem fine, was that my wallpaper would default to the standard Leopard wallpaper after a restart along with Time Machine appearing in the dock at the right of the app end even though I don't keep it there.

2. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Did the OS come with your computer, or did you buy it? Did you upgrade the OS, or Clean install?

Many of these weird issues you describe seem to be related to the OS, most of the time they are a result of doing an OS upgrade. I don't think it was anything you did at all. If they bother you to much, i would recommend you do a clean install of Leopard. It should fix these issues.

3. Topher15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Topher15

I got the computer with Tiger in October and ordered the £5 Leopard disc. I copied my work over to Tiger then did an Leopard upgrade install when the disc arrived. Not had these issues before so I doubt it had anything to do with how or when I installed it. I'll probably do a clean install in a few months when I get an decent size external drive to back up my stuff.