Strange part number and barcode?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pg2114, Mar 30, 2011.

1. pg2114 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I received an iPad 32Gb with Wi-Fi and 3G today, however I am slightly concerned about a strange part number and barcode on the box. Sorry about the poor quality image, but the part number reads PC496B/A and the barcode reads 885909441044.

[​IMG]

I found it odd how searching for either of these return absolutely no relevant results. After looking at labels, most have part numbers starting MC rather than PC.

Any ideas why mine has a strange part number and barcode, please?

Peter.

2. pg2114 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Seriously?

You had it engraved.

You're concerned that someone whipped up some grey market iPad 2 already? And engraved it for you, and shipped it from Apple?

What?

4. pg2114 thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually received it as a gift this morning, so that does explain a lot. I really don't have any use for the iPad and really could do with the money, but I guess its resale value is now reduced due to the personalisation :(

Peter.

5. applelvr macrumors member

I wish someone would give me an iPad 2 as a gift. I'd accept it engraved or not!

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

GBR - Are you in Great Britain? Part number might be different overseas because of the already-included SIM cards for the foreign GSM models. Just a guess.

7. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

Never look a gift iPad in the mouth.

If you really need the money & it was given to you as a gift, what do you care how much or little you can get for it? Good luck telling the person who gave it to you that you sold it for some walking around money.