Strange: PCI-card causing kernel panic and then again not?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Cox Orange, May 17, 2014.

1. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

I have run my PowerMac G4 with three SATA-PCI cards (and a Sonnet CPU Upgrade) for almost three years, if not more in this configuration, with no problems so far.
    Lately it happened, that a drive on the Sonnet card did disappear or wasn't accessable (opened icon, opened folder, and then beach ball). I then restarted it and it was ok, till the next morning. This happened three times.

Then I got kernel panics and the Mac would freeze after the grey Apple logo would appear (the circle not having started to rotate).

I unplugged and moved around drives with no success.

Then I read what it actually said in the kernel panic by holding cmd+v.

I found a projovian.driver being loaded as last. I googled and found an allready existing thread with this kernel panic (though the CPU caller was different).
    It is my MacAlly SATA-card, that had NO drives attached when the problems started.
    So I pulled the card and the Mac came back with the boot-drive. But System Profiler did not show the other cards anymore.
    I moved them around: the Sonnet came back.
    Moved the SIL3124-"PC"-Card again to another slot and it was back, too.
    But the drives were not showing on the Sonnet card.
    I put them besides the others on the SIL-"PC-Card (all drives on this card, instead of two here and two there). Now all drives showed up (interestingly also one Samsung 2TB that wasn't shown on the SIL-card three days before (which is why I had put it on Sonnet card).

Today, I put in the Macally card again and everything works with no problems.

Strange. I wonder, what this is or what the reason was for this. Also hope it does not come back again.

(PS: I did PMU resets in between, but this didn't make the kernel panic go away.)

Edit: also the card no show up in strange order:
    C - SIL
    B - Sonnet
    D - MacAlly.

I remember it was A-B-C before.

2. wts macrumors member

wts

When these kind of computer vooodoo happens to my Mac's i unplug them from their power source and allow them to sit overnite.

The next day i use the install disk to start up ( unless you have some other Utility such TechToolPro or DiskWarrior ) and run Apple;s disk utility on the hard drive running Repair Permissions and Repair disk.

I use TechToolPro and DiskWarrior in addition to running Repair Permissions and Repair disk.

3. Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

I repaired permissions.

I noticed another thing. If I install a new boot-drive and additional data-HDDs, the boot-dribe has to be installed first. Then shut down, then data-HDDs. Otherwise it is a random chance, if they will mount.
    This does not have something to do with the aforementioned phenomenon, but I thought I add it.