Strange Permissions Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iNeko, Oct 30, 2007.

1. iNeko macrumors regular

Hi, I've just upgraded my macbook pro to Leopard and have noticed some strange things - first of all, I was having some problems on Tiger with my user account, so I moved everything into the Shared folder, made a new user account and copied everything over to there.

Everything worked, so I moved all my things from Shared to the new user account and everything worked great, now I've upgraded to Leopard, I'm having some funny things happen.

For example, I have my CV in a PDF file on the external harddrive of my mac mini and I copy it over to the documents folder on my macbook pro, it goes to overwrite, but says I don't have permission, yet I can move the file, delete it, modify it, etc. When I pull the info for the permissions from anything on the system, I have my name with Read & Write access, then "Unknown" which has Read Only access - I cannot delete this "Unknown" and nor can I change any permissions...

I just wondered if anyone had any idea of what's messed up and how I can fix it, thanks :)

2. roblogic macrumors newbie

Everyone in my office who's upgraded has had this issue too - luckily it's an easy fix.

Details here

Basically in 10.4, users were in their own group - so I'm username "rob", and I was in group "rob". In 10.5, normal users are in group "staff", as they should be IMO. So all you need to do is change the group permissions on all of the files in your home directory:

sudo chown -R [username]:staff ~

3. iNeko thread starter macrumors regular

That's fantastic - fixed everything, I'm glad it was easy and not an "erase and install" job - thanks :D