Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
This is a new one.

Tonight I was called for the second time by a phone number "106." That's it. There was nothing else on my caller ID. It's saved in my missed call log and it doesn't have any sort of information on it. As with any strange number, of course they didn't leave a message.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? I'm pretty sure I read another thread on here of someone who had the SAME exact question, although a search finds nothing.

I have AT&T. In the US. I've never had anything like this with any other phone, so I thought I'd ask here.

EatMyApple

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
This is a new one.

Tonight I was called for the second time by a phone number "106." That's it. There was nothing else on my caller ID. It's saved in my missed call log and it doesn't have any sort of information on it. As with any strange number, of course they didn't leave a message.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? I'm pretty sure I read another thread on here of someone who had the SAME exact question, although a search finds nothing.

I have AT&T. In the US. I've never had anything like this with any other phone, so I thought I'd ask here.

Probably not related, but isn't 106 like the 911 for New Zealand or Australia?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
This is a new one.

What are the Emergency Call Services numbers in Australia?

Triple Zero (000) is Australia's primary Emergency Call Service number and should be used to request emergency assistance from all telephones (landline, mobile phones and payphones) in the first instance. For information about calling Triple Zero (000) from a voice over internet protocol service see below.
112 is the international standard emergency number which can only be dialled on a digital mobile phone.
106 is the text-based Emergency Call Service number for people who are deaf, or who have a hearing or speech impairment. This service operates using a teletypewriter (TTY) but does not accept voice calls or SMS messages.
Both 112 and 106 are secondary emergency service numbers because they are for use only in connection with particular technologies.

Hope that helps

thelordnyax

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
with spoofing, someone can call you and make it look like any number...
OR

i've seen service text messages from AT&T come from 101, 102, 108...106 could be at&t related

nehunte

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2009

Triple Zero (000) is Australia's primary Emergency Call Service number and should be used to request emergency assistance from all telephones (landline, mobile phones and payphones) in the first instance. For information about calling Triple Zero (000) from a voice over internet protocol service see below.
112 is the international standard emergency number which can only be dialled on a digital mobile phone.
106 is the text-based Emergency Call Service number for people who are deaf, or who have a hearing or speech impairment. This service operates using a teletypewriter (TTY) but does not accept voice calls or SMS messages.
Both 112 and 106 are secondary emergency service numbers because they are for use only in connection with particular technologies.

Hope that helps

....and if you paid any attention to the first post, you would realize he lives in the US, not Australia.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007

Hope that helps

But it wouldn't come up that way internationally, right?

with spoofing, someone can call you and make it look like any number...
OR

i've seen service text messages from AT&T come from 101, 102, 108...106 could be at&t related

So is it possible it's AT&T trying to call?

....and if you paid any attention to the first post, you would realize he lives in the US, not Australia.

No need for that man... he's trying to help. I wouldn't rule anything out at this point.

There's an even stranger part to this story but if I posted it most of you would think I'm crazy (more so than you probably already do). :) I need to find time to get the image I saved off my phone and hosted... I'll post it when I can.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
There's an even stranger part to this story but if I posted it most of you would think I'm crazy (more so than you probably already do). :) I need to find time to get the image I saved off my phone and hosted... I'll post it when I can.

You can just attach images to your post here.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
I got one last night as well... however the call log says its from "858" and the phone never rang and there was no message left. Strange.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
They called again and I have a pic of the incoming call screen. I didn't know you could do that.

Will post.

Glad (using that loosely here) that has happened to someone else.

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
It could be AT&T calling you, a telemarketer, or just someone messing with you.

It's not hard at all to spoof your caller id. Just take a look at http://www.spoofcard.com, works in tons of countries and costs are relatively low.

I have used it and I can say it works great.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
I got one last night as well... however the call log says its from "858" and the phone never rang and there was no message left. Strange.

I got the same call again last night - this time it rang so I answered it. It was the Democratic National Committee doing fundraising - I asked why the number came up as "858" and the guy on the other side said that it was the telemarketing firm they were using.

I politely asked they not call me again until gays have equal rights:)

Pared

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Here ya go.

Looks like it might be that telemarketing thing. That sucks. When did they start doing that?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 299
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 337

Martron4

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2015
Reseda
Strange calls from 106

I also get phone calls from the number 106 and its alway early in the morning. Today it was at 5:30

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.