Strange pixelation on sides of screen after overheating

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by R.Howell, Sep 17, 2010.

1. R.Howell macrumors newbie

I had been using the bf's mac for few hours, browsing pages, facebooking ect. and I noticed it working hard, and the fans going like crazy. It actually appeared to freeze with a strand pixel pattern and I immeadiatley shut it down. I waited til it was cooled down a bit and turned it back on, only to see that some of the pixelation was still there on the sides. It said to restart, so I have turned it off for now. Have I totally ruined his mac? Should I wait and see how it is tomorrow before I worry to much? Thanks so much, I'm in a huge panic!

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

MacBook Pro? 2.2/2.4/2.6GHz? Somewhere in the 2007-2008 range? nVidia 8600M graphics chip?

There's a repair extension program for this. The machines do overheat and die, but that's not your fault--that's a design flaw.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

3. R.Howell thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know much about it other than it was probably made 2007 - 08, but I will try your suggestion. My only question would be, if when I turn it on again and it insists I restart (because then I can't login) where should I go from there? And thanks again for the info!

4. Detrius macrumors 68000

Go to this page: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Enter the machine's serial number. You can get the serial number from underneath the battery.

On the Apple page listed here, it will show you your warranty status along with the official model name. If the model name is included in the list of models for the repair extension program, then regardless of warranty status, the specific issue listed is covered.

The symptoms you're describing sound like this will be covered under the repair extension program--specifically, graphics distortions and kernel panics that won't allow you to boot as a result.

Take it to your local Apple Authorized Service Center. If it's this, Apple will replace your logic board, and you should not be charged.