Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Hi

I charge my iPhone 7 with a 3m Anker cable and iPad charger that's connected to a standard UK extension lead. I also have a 2Kwh fan heater on the same extension lead (not advised I know) but whenever I am charging my phone and running the heater my phone gets very very hot. I thought I had a faulty phone but after doing some tests I am 100% sure that the phone goes crazy hot when charging but only when the fan heater is running; my phone is fine when charging and the heater is off.

For all those clever folks I can confirm that I am not sat with the phone in front of the fan heater!

Is there an explantation?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Is it possible that in drawing more current (I assume the fan heater draws more power) the fan heater is leaking some of it back down the line causing the phone to take more current than it normally draws?

Or that in drawing more current, more than usual is being shunted to your phone?

Reactions: Sunny1990

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Is it possible that in drawing more current (I assume the fan heater draws more power) the fan heater is leaking some of it back down the line causing the phone to take more current than it normally draws?

Or that in drawing more current, more than usual is being shunted to your phone?
Doesn't the iPhone have a chip that controls its power?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Doesn't the iPhone have a chip that controls its power?
Yeah, but if the line is sending more power than it's asking for it could get warm.

I'm not an electrician, just speculating based on past experience with devices and equipment.

Reactions: Sunny1990

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
If it was power drain from the fan,the charger would get hot,not the phone. However,this is an easy problem to solve,just disconnect the fan when charging phone.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
The chip is in the charger,not the cable. The chip in the cable connector is just there to identify the cable.
Thanks for the correction. I meant it was in the bundle, forgetting which part of the included charging parts it was in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.