Strange problem with display, video card issues? pics inside

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nozebleed, Feb 9, 2009.

1. nozebleed macrumors 6502

I'm having some sporadic issues with my 24" iMac. Its the iMac 6,1 2.16 GHz 3 gigs RAM. NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT. Anyways, sometimes, not all the time, when I wake the computer, I get the screensaver, but its not moving. Just like a screenshot of the screensaver i have. The screen will stay like this until I right click and drag a box on my screen, "opening up" the desktop. Also if i manage to click on an icon on the desktop, itll show. The dock icons will be gone until i scroll across them, but then, i still have some pink lines and black lines. If I grab an icon on the desktop, say a .png, or anything for that matter, and drag it around its almost like an eraser tool on Photoshop, revealing the desktop from the screensaver. This is kinda hard to explain so I included some pictures. Like i said, it doesnt happen every time. The only way to completely correct it is a reboot. I left PC's for these kinds of problems lol.

Anyone have any ideas what this might be, and how to fix it? I was going to try a fresh install of leopard but i really dont think this is the issue. I tried disk util but this didnt help. Its out of warranty so no help there. Video RAM? something else?

Check the pics, they are screencaps of my desktop during one of these issues.

(I blacked out my bro's aim so he doesnt cry I put his name all over the internets)

UPDATE: I have noticed that the problem goes away after about 30 mins of being on, whether that was just this one time or not I do not know.

Attached Files:

2. nozebleed thread starter macrumors 6502

More pics

look at the dock

Attached Files: