Strange problem with iSight. Glare in corner: does this merit a return?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nyczrl, Apr 10, 2008.

1. nyczrl macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Just bought a black Macbook exactly two days ago, and pretty satisfied with it. I bought Applecare with it and also have the regular 14 day warranty on it.

However, I was playing around with photobooth, and found that my isight seems to have a glare problem in the bottom right corner of the screen. When I'm sitting on my bed, and move the laptop around while on photobooth, the glare is pretty consistent and clear, but in some angles, the glare goes away. Outside of my room, however, the camera seems to work fine and the glare goes away. Only in some rooms does the camera have this problem.

Is this enough of a problem to earn a brand new Macbook? (I also have a tiny scratch on the keyboard, and it also seems to be running a little slow, so I'd prefer to have a brand new one even if there's not a problem with iSight)

[​IMG]

I think if I bring it into the apple store, I probably won't be able to prove the problem because the camera will work fine with the lighting there. However, if I take a video of the problem occuring and also take pictures, is that enough to get a new return? I don't know if this is a problem that every Macbook has (whether it has do with a certain type of lighting) but it is very annoying, especially because when I video-chat in my room, the glare is always present.

Thanks as always.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

A repair, possibly (although the problem would probably need to be reproducible in the store). ...No chance on a complete replacement though.

3. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

I am pretty sure you can get a brand new replacement if you take it back within the 14 day return policy.

4. nyczrl thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure though, I already installed tons of third-party applications and took a lot of pictures.

I think this problem only persists in my room. However, if I argue that the fact that I can't comfortably video-chat in my room, will this be enough to get a complete replacement?

Remember, I think this problem only exists in my room. But I do have video/photo evidence of it.

Thanks again!

5. ajmccoll macrumors newbie

I'm confused. What makes you think that, by getting a brand new laptop, the iSight will magically work in your room? If you cannot recreate the problem in the apple store, and the glare only shows up in "SOME" rooms, don't you think it might be a problem with your light source..and NOT the camera?

6. nyczrl thread starter macrumors newbie

Obviously, that's the reason why I'm having some doubts as to whether I can get it fixed or not.
    What if the camera isn't picking up a certain type of light source correctly? Sure, the problem may be in the light source, but it doesn't hurt to ask. It's also strange since the problem only occurs in the lower right hand corner. If it were the problem with the light source, I'd imagine the camera having problems at all corners.

Thanks

7. jamie329 macrumors member

I'm not sure why you think getting a new Macbook will make it run any faster? If you only bought it a few days ago, it's not like you're going to get a newer model?

Maybe if you explain a little more why you want a new one so bad, we might be able to give you some more information. It sounds to me like the iSight isn't your only problem with your laptop.

8. nyczrl thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey,

It's not really the fact that I would like just a brand new Macbook for the sake of having one. Firstly, it's the fact that the iSight camera doesn't seem to function in the room as I thought it would/ or as it would advertise. As I said before, it's strange that the problem only occurs in the lower right hand corner, instead of the other corners, if the problem lies within the light source.
    I sort of mis-stated what I wanted to say in the first post, so I apologize for any confusion. There's nothing really anything wrong with the laptop now, but I guess it's just always better to have a fresh, brand new one. (ie, that is human nature)

Anyways, can anyone else shed some insight into whether this will warrant a return?

9. jamie329 macrumors member

Just to clarify, does the problem occur in any other room/location? Or is it just this one single location?

If it is only this one single location, I can't really see the average Apple genius giving you a replacement. Generally, they would have to be able to reproduce the problem to justify a replacement. However, that is not to say that you wouldn't come across the odd employee who would do it for you. I just think the majority would not if they couldn't reproduce the problem (even if you showed them the photo).

The alternative is to pay the 10% restocking fee (assuming you're within 14 days), get a refund, and then buy another new one.

You should really just take it in and see what they say. The worst that can happen is that they say no, at which point you can choose whether you want to take the 10% hit, or just be happy with what you have. No one on these forums can tell you with any guarantee what they will say. You just have to go and find out.

10. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Maybe its a ghost! :) What? Isn't that what paranormal investigators say?

Ok, I think I should stop watching Ghost Hunters :eek:

11. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

If it only happens in your room, wouldn't that be a lighting problem; not something wrong with your iSight?

I don't doubt that something would be wrong with your iSight though. With my first MacBook that I got on my birthday, the iSight was really messed up. When I recorded video, it made a horrible and loud buzzing noise but only heard while playing the recording. I reproduced the problem at the genius bar and the guy went, "Oh wow. I think my ears might be bleeding." About 20 minutes later, I got a brand new MacBook :D

Edit: Also, maybe the lens is dirty. It kinda looks like a smudge. Try using the black cloth that came with it to clean it the best you can.
    I really don't think that this problem will hold enough water in the Apple store to get you a new computer unless you can show the Genius' the problem there.