Strange Problem With Itunes Music Library File

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joesenior91, Apr 19, 2009.

1. joesenior91 macrumors member

Hi there

I like to use my mac as an alarm in the morning. but recently i've had this problem where the alarm app gives me a list of playlists to choose from that is out of date, from about the time when i got a new mac.

So thinking this was a problem with iTaf, the alarm app, i downloaded aurora for a trail, and the same problem occurred, and i tried the alarm clock app too. same problem.

So i open up the .xml music library file and all the music mentioned in it is stuff i've had for ages, and no new music is showing up in it. I assume the problem is that iTunes isn't updating the file correctly, if so how would i fix that?

another problem i've had with itunes is that lot's of the artists folders have permissions attached to them that only gave me read access, so to add music to an existing artist i'd have to go and change permissions for that folder.

I tried to change all the permissions in one go, but finder stopped responding and still hadn't sorted itself out half an hour later so i relaunched it.

What's going on?

2. joesenior91 thread starter macrumors member

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You might have iTunes pointed to an old, out-of-date library file.

Hold down the Option key when you start iTunes, and it will allow you to choose the library file to use. Search for where you have the up-to-date library, and point iTunes to it - that should fix your problem.

4. joesenior91 thread starter macrumors member

all sorted

turns out iTunes was working fine, but the permissions on the itunes music file were read only for me. changed that and all works perfect now :)