Strange problem with old .mov files.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by inscrewtable, Apr 11, 2012.

1. inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

I've brought all my stuff over to lion. Mostly all my various video files work fine. Sometimes there's a problem with the new QT player but either the old QT player 7 or VLC or MX player will work.

However I have a small bunch of important files which were saved as .mov files in the old QT player 7, and they will not open in anything. I get a message saying something about WMV3 codecs. Anyway I downloaded the Divx codec which stopped the new QT from working at all, so i trashed that, I remembered that I onced bought easy WMV so I was able to download that which didn't work, flip for mac didn't work either.

I was just about to give up when I accidentally dragged a file into a Safari window and it played fine.

So now I'm wondering why I cannot play the file in either the new or old QT player, but it will play in the Safari window and the FF window. What is going on here.

here is an error message from VLC

[​IMG]

thanks.

2. KlytusLord macrumors regular

I don't know why the files are broken in everything except Safari, but I would recommend downloading Handbreak and seeing if it can convert the files to a newer format.

I't fairly robust at reading older video files.

Handbreak is free, by the way.

3. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

No, it wouldn't open in Handbrake. I tried it in Chrome as well which it opened after asking for permission to access a quicktime plug in. So all browsers are fine. This is most annoying.