Strange prohibitory sign occurance, how to backup via Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mmattson07, Apr 14, 2011.

1. mmattson07 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

Well the other day something odd happened to my 13" MBP. I seemingly awoke it okay from sleep and it was acting extremely sluggish and eventually froze. Upon restarting it the OS gave what I later discovered to be a "prohibitory" sign which usually occurs when some critical OSX files have been moved or new software had been installed. Since I had not done either on my Mac OSX, I was pretty confused.

Needless to say it proceeded to boot up in my other OS I have installed: Windows 7. The only explanation I could think of was I may have contracted some spyware on my Windows partition proceeding this and there was some faulty accessing of my Macintosh HD from the Windows side? I have tried resetting my PRAM, etc. the only way I can get the gear to spin is by holding C with the OS installation disk in so I'm assuming I must reinstall the OS.

So here's my question: Is there a way to xfer files from my Macintosh HD to an external HDD via usb FROM Bootcamp Windows 7? When I try the speed is decent for the first 100 megs or so then dies off to a dead pace. I have tried two different external drives, same result. Could it be because I'm transferring from E: (non local Mac partition) drive? When I transfer files from C: to external it seems to work. I have read about 4GB file limit or w.e but I can't even xfer 100MB without it dying to about 1 mb/s. Any Ideas?

2. mmattson07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, I attempted to repair the disk from disk utility but still no boot. I also tried reinstalling OSX but the Installer crashes giving an extensive error log and says the installer could not be completed. Kinda frustrated.