Strange purple lines in a pattern on my screen - please help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by timsoq, May 3, 2010.

1. timsoq macrumors newbie

Okay,

So i have had a Macbook Pro which I got in mid 2008 and it just yesterday began doing something strange. After working in Mac OS X for a while I saw that many of the white areas on my screen were filled with purple lines. Most of my pics in my background are outlined with varying colors and I cannot figure out what is going on.

I began to suspect the graphics chip at first, so to test this theory I plugged it into an external display and the problem did not exist there so I concluded that it was not due to the graphics chip. I have a friend who performed some tests and believes that it is a problem in the connection between the monitor and the graphics chip and that certain bits of data just aren't making it through. I thought that this was a feasible problem, but to get a second opinion I took it to the local apple store on my university campus and they looked at it and also concluded that it was not a graphics chip problem, but that I may have to replace the whole display assembly. This was fairly expensive and I cannot afford to do that since time got away from me and I forgot to purchase applecare. (How stupid of me. Aargh!) Anyway, so I was wondering what is believed by the macrumors community to be the best option. I discovered that this problem seemed to happen on a lot of this particular model of macbook pro and that apple offered to replace the graphics chip for free because of it, but since they do not think it is a graphics chip issue, it appears that I am stuck. So any help that you guys could offer would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If it's the display assembly you pretty much have to either have it fixed or live with the issue.

Seeing you bought it in Mid 2008; did you buy this with a credit card? If so which card and did you make the entire purchase on that one card?

3. timsoq thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I purchased with with a Discover card I believe. It was a while ago but yes the whole purchase was made on one card.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you still use the card, call up Discover and see if they have some sort of extended warranty program; most cards have some form of that. Basically you pay for the repair and they reimburse you.

Just to note these programs usually added a second year to the orignal warranty, and Mid 2008 should mean you are within 2 years?

5. Zoltan2, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

Zoltan2 macrumors newbie

Loose chip on Unibody 15" MBP 2009 motherboard

Unibody 15" MBP 2009

I fixed this problem, it appears to be a loose surface mount chip on the mother board. This happened to me after I inadvertently snapped the lid shut quite heavily.

I noticed that gently squeezing the left hand side of the mbp made the stripes go away. I eventually tracked it down to the chip that is the only one set on the diagonal in this image (at the top of the image and cut off by the edge of the picture) also note the battery has been removed in this image.

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/sEFBef2gMlPlRYGU.huge

The chip has LFXP2-5E printed on it. -made by Lattice semiconductor - some kind of PFU with DSP among other things, thrown in.

I just gently gave the chip a push with my finger - there was a very slight click - the stripes have gone.

It seems that the chip might work its way loose with every bump that the mbp gets, I've had mine for 5 years. eventually the chip must get slightly dislodged then the stripes appear.

Hope that helps