Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I have an odd question about Firewire/USB hard drive enclosures.

I bought a Macally external hard drive enclosure and put a standard 3.5" ATA drive in it. I used that for a little while and then I got another ATA drive, so I bought another Macally external case. All was well. Then I got a new computer and I packed up the drives and set them aside for a little while. Then when I went to re-connect them, I noticed that the power adapters for them were slightly different from the 2 enclosures that were purchased at different times. One power adapter is bigger and the other one is smaller. So, I thought nothing of it and hooked the power adapters to each of the drives and they were working like normal but, not for long. I started having weird problems with one of the drives and data would be corrupt when I copied it to my Mac Pro. Also, folders and files were actually disappearing right before my eyes. The other drive was fine though... so it can't be a firewire port problem... it's gotta be the drive right? So to make a long story longer, I managed to fix the drive with Disk Utility but, it kept getting messed up when I tried to copy files over to my Mac Pro. So, I eventually got the data that I needed off of it and forgot about it for a little while and just used the "good" drive.

So anyways, today I needed to bring an extra drive with me to work because I was gonna use it at a friends house so I grabbed the "bad" drive and I just happened to grab the Firewire cable and power adapter that I had connected to the "good" drive. While I was at work, I was curious, so I plugged the drive in (using the power adapter from the good drive) and I had no problems at all moving data to and from the drive no matter what I tried.

So I guess my actual question is, could it be that I had the power adapters plugged into the wrong external cases? And if so, would that screw one up but, not the other? Also, when I have 2 drives that are identical except for the power adapters, how do I know which power adapter goes to which drive? Anyone know what to tell me? Sorry for such a long story but, I wanted to explain why I was concerned about the power adapters. By the way, the enclosure model is PHR-100AC.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Each external hdd case is paired to an AC power brick so yes if you connect 1 power brick to another case that'll happen to you .. I've done it several times .. :eek: :eek:

Ah, thank you iPhil. I'm glad to see that someone else has done this. I wonder why they don't have some sort of indicator which case belongs to which power supply. Hmmm... Now that it's working correctly, maybe I should tag them with a label so that it doesn't happen in the future. Thanks again iPhil! You made my day!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.