Strange Question involving Verizon to AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chiefo, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Chiefo macrumors newbie

Hey people,
    So I'm currently carless, and can't make it to a Verizon store...phone help was kinda murky on this. I will throw this out to you guys, and we'll see what we can do.

I am currently on a Verizon Family Plan. 2 Numbers, mine and my sister. My mother is the "primary accountholder," but we haven't spoken in a while. (My sister lives at home. I send her money, she pays the bill for the two of us).
    I am moving farther away, so I don't want to keep sending my sister cash. Instead, we're going to "go our separate ways." Using the online Verizon menu, i can "split" our lines into two separate lines.

My question (and logic) follows thus:

If I "split" the lines, then both lines will come on the same bill, but they will be separate. I could then hop on my roommate's "family" plan (and get a brand new iPhone!!!!) and "port" my existing number. When I do this, my sister should get a bill in the mail for that cancelled line, but her number will still work and she will still get the bill (under my mother's name) for her new, single line plan...which she can continue to pay, correct? (I am going to pay the early termination fee on this line...the contract is almost up and shouldn't be toooo terrible).

Verizon tends to be very unfriendly to me on the phone, so this was my plan for getting around all the b.s. Can anyone weigh in on this?

Thanks!!
    Reg

2. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

As long as you ARE NOT the account holder on the verizon account, all you have to do is go to AT&T and have them port out your number. This will cancel your line only, and hers will remain.

3. Chiefo thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, that is what I thought...but your response just made me think of something else. Does it matter which number is the "primary" number? Because the number I'm trying to dump is considered the "primary" on the family plan...this is why I want to "split" them into 2 different lines first.

Thoughts?

4. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Yours probably can't be the primary line. You can have them switch it. My boyfriend's number was the primary line and he had to fight with them to have them switch his number to a secondary line. I don't know anything about "splitting" the accounts, never heard of it.

5. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

When I ported from Sprint, I WAS the primary account holder of a 3-Line family plan. Even though I was, the Sprint account with the other two remained after I left. Sprint actually called and asked which line we would like to be the new primary. Pretty painless. In your situation, you should have no problem. Just head on over to Apple and grab your new phone! Don't bother going to AT&T... they're sold out... and you'll end up waiting 27 years like me...

6. Roosterfosho macrumors member

You should be able to switch which line is the primary line on the Verizon account, then you will have no problems porting to AT&T. Possibly if you were to just switch it Verizon would just make one of the other lines the "primary" line.