Strange RAM issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neliss, Dec 4, 2011.

1. neliss macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I got this really strange issue with my late '09 MBP:
    Most of the times when i take my macbook somewhere, it freezes within a few minutes working on it.
    When i reboot it, it starts beeping 3 beeps repeatingly, indicating the RAM is bad.
    When i open the bottom to remove and reinsert the RAM, the problem is solved and i can use my laptop without any problem.

So it seems the RAM wasn't bad after all.
    I bought an extra set of RAM just to be sure, but the problem persists.
    Even with just one bank of memory inserted.

Does someone have an idea what could cause this problem or how to fix this?
    It is pretty annoying to need taking a screwdriver everywhere i go :confused:
    Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like you're not properly seating the RAM sticks and they're working loose. Be sure you push the RAM sticks firmly into place.

3. neliss thread starter macrumors newbie

I have found the issue does not occur whenever i turn off my MBP before transporting it.
    It doesn't make any sense to me, it seems that the RAM doesn't actually come loose from its bank, since i don't have to reseat it when it was turned off.

Any suggestions?

4. billli macrumors newbie

Try to take it to the Apple Store and have the technicians to take a look?

Do you have a different/new set of RAM that you can try? Sometimes ram could be damaged without any immediate symptoms

5. neliss thread starter macrumors newbie

I could take it to an Apple Store, but they will need to send it to their Service Centre for investigation, for which they charge me 80 euros. The Apple Stores here (i live in Holland) are just Apple Resellers, the 'geniuses' hardly know anything. So taking it over there is like my last resort...

I actually bought a new set of RAM (those are very cheap these days) hoping that would solve the issues, but the problems remain.

6. billli macrumors newbie

Are you up to date with your OS?

My only suggestion would try to reinstall the OS, but most likely that won't help, since indications are pointing that it is a Hardware problem. Could it be possible by chance that your new sticks of RAM are DOA as well?