Strange ram problem with Unibody MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Skyldig, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Skyldig macrumors regular

Hey,

I need some help.

I upgraded my unibody MBP to 4Gb ram a few days ago, and I'm experiencing some strage things. It recognizes the ram, and it's running very good most of the time.
    Sometimes however, the computer freezes, and strange artifacts apear on the screen. I have to reboot to get it up and runnning again.

I thought it might be hardware faliure in the ram, so I tested them with memtest86, but it didn't find any errors.

The strangest thing is that there is no problem when I'm running on my windows partition (windows 7 beta). It's been running for 2 days now, and it usually freezes within 4 hours in OSX.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

2. Skyldig thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone?

Do you think there is any chance that a reinstall of OSX might help?

3. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

Best to call Apple support, or whoever you bought the RAM from.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you suddenly are incurring stability problems and you just upgraded your ram, then the odds are high the ram is the cause.

FWIW, unless you have the 64bit version of windows, it will not access all of the 4gig so that may be the reason why you're not seeing the problem there.

Either way you need to call customer support where you got the ram from.

5. Skyldig thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I bought the ram form a non-apple retail store, that don't really offer support.

I have the 64-bit version of windows, and it does access all the ram.

I'll be installing Snow Leopard in the weekend. If I'm lucky it will solve the problem for some reason.