Strange reoccurring USB issue

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BexXx, Feb 28, 2010.

1. BexXx macrumors newbie

Hi there, I got a macbook pro a couple of months ago and I just noticed yesterday that there is a problem with it and reading usb devices.

I'm fairly new to mac and not fully familiar with it yet so this might not be a big issue. I filled up a usb and tried clearing some space on it but whenever i delete anything it stays the same memory. I originally thought 'Oh it's the usb' but it 's happening with every usb storage device.

The odd part is when I checked the 'Get Info' of the first usb stick it told me that the usb had been manufactured in 1961 and (though it should only have up to 2gb full storage - 1.8 really) it says the total is 2.02. The second memory stick i tested was a completely different one but it said it had the exact same capacity, 2.02, and that this one was made in 1980.

To me this sounds like a virus because my desktop has had trouble before with storage devices and trojans but I ran a virus scan and everything checked out. I'm wondering is there possible some internal settings in me mac that i need to set?

I tried to google the problem but I don't quite know what I'm looking for . . .

I would appreciate any advice very much.

Kind Regards

BexXx

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Well, we can rule a virus out, because there are currently no viruses that affect OSX
    There a few rare trojans, but they require you to install them and use your administrator's password, and I have not heard of any that their sole purpose is to confuse a USB drive

Once you delete the files, do you actually empty the trash?
    I know that is basic, but I have to ask since you didn't say
    Because, as I am sure you know, if you don't empty the trash, the files haven't really been cleared

3. BexXx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I hadn't realized that the trash can on my dock would effect my usb device's storage because of the trash for the usb on the pc was seperate. I just cleared it and that seemed to have worked for my 8gb card:).

I can't test the usb i was using lat night because i don't have it with me but that one would let me delete items when full and put new items on it without having to clear my trash can last night while another one (different brand, same size) wouldn't . . .

Could it be different for different devices?