Strange residue found in an otherwise clean 'BlackBook'.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PinkyMacGodess, Jan 10, 2011.

1. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

A black MacBook that I recently worked on had the most bizarre thing about it.

One of the memory SIMM's had soem residue on the underside of it. It didn't look like water and the system ran fine with it. I used some contact cleaner to get most of it off. I thought that the system perhaps had something spilled on it but the most puzzling thing is that there was zero residue anywhere else in the system. None. Not under the keyboard, not on the top of the board directly under the memory, nothing... Most peculiar sight.

Could it have come from the factory like that? It seems hard to believe. From what I could tell, the system hadn't been messed with at all, from what I could see.

The issue that brought it to me was the Airport Card was just dropping the network. It's on another part of the board...

Anyone else seen anything like this? It's got me stumped... Thanks all...

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Its a silicon based lubricant that is put on the chips at the factory to make them slide in easier. Nothing to worry about.

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Both of my White MacBooks had this residue on their DIMMs. I say had, because they no longer have the stock RAM.