Strange rMPB Battery Issue...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChopinGuy, Jul 7, 2012.

1. ChopinGuy macrumors newbie

Not sure if anyone else might be experiencing this or not and wanted to post to see perhaps I'm not the only one:

I have the base 2.3/8/256 rMBP -- every now and then when waking from sleep (upon previously having a nearly fully charged battery); the battery indicator window comes up saying my battery is at anywhere from 3-10% battery life.

I just left the office for perhaps two hours -- battery was at 90% -- when I woke it, it came up as at 3%.

Anyone else experiencing this or something similar??

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's possible your Mac wasn't in sleep mode. For sleep issues, you may find some useful ideas here:

3. ChopinGuy, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012

ChopinGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks -- looked over those and nothing in the first article seems to be the case -- checked all the settings as well. The other articles didn't seem as applicable as I don't have any printers installed on this machine, I don't find the machine awake as I always have to re-enter my password, and nor do I have that gfx status app installed...

So I'm kind of at a loss -- seems like very strange behavior....

4. Aodhan macrumors regular

There is a free application called CoconutBattery, which is not available from the App Store, but can be downloaded from here, that you should definitely get. It will tell you the relative health of your battery. This may help you rule out if the problem is the battery itself or something else. (It's probably the battery).

5. ChopinGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'll be returning my rMBP today for a classic...

This battery issue is obviously unacceptable for a brand new $2,200 laptop -- that aside, I truly think that this display technology is a bit ahead of the hard-ware side of things.

The more I read and see for myself, I think anyone would be in for trouble thinking that this first gen. product will be viable to keep up with processing, and especially graphics demands 4-5 years down the road. For users that like to upgrade every 1-2 years, the current rMBP should prove to be fine.

Without a doubt the rMBP is certainly the direction Apple is going for mobile computing...I myself am going back to a classical macbook pro, and will wait to see what develops from this launch product in further revisions. Will miss the display, but will take a proven platform over cutting edge...

6. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

I don't get the "X is unacceptable for X priced item" argument. No matter how expensive something is, any multi-part, mechanical item is going to have a small percentage of defects in the manufacturing run. That's the nature of manufacturing. There is a reason why the small number of things that exist on the market with a 100% zero-failure rate are OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive.

We still don't know if this is a software issue, a user issue, or an actual hardware issue. You really should wipe the OS clean and then see if you still have sleep issues. If you do, just exchange it. AppleCare will take care of this up to a year. You know, it could happen on a regular MacBook Pro too.

The vast majority of Retina users, myself included, have had absolutely zero concerns with quality, construction, and even the seriously-overblown "display ahead of hardware" realities.

7. ChopinGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

You are correct -- perhaps my post is more in frustration -- nonetheless, I still stick to what I said regarding the technology in terms of longevity. The fact is apple is using the same gfx to drive 2x the amount of pixels. Will this have implications down the road -- it's hard to say, and depends on a number of variables.

Again, it all depends on your needs and how long you plan on keep the machine. However, for me, I will choose to see how this new tech develops and proves itself before choosing to make a commitment to rely on it.

8. psykick5 macrumors 6502

It's actually 4x the pixels.

9. 01mggt macrumors 6502

I fail to see how exchanging for a cmbp is going to resolve any of these things? The battery is probably a fluke that can be easily fixed with a SMC reset or something simple.And how can the rMBP not keep up with the demand for power for 4-5 years but yet you say a cMBP with the exact same hardware can? Sounds like you are fishing for reasons to justify not having a rMBP. If you don't like it simply exchange it. No need to make a post giving negative feed back on it when you just don't care for it?

10. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Yeah why don't you just exchange it for a new one?

Obviously you realized yourself this isn't normal for a brand new laptop, obviously something is wrong with yours. I mean if you aren't enjoying the rMBP then get the classic but it you are and this is your only problem, this obviously isn't an issue of the rMBP. Buying a classic just because of this would be pointless...