Strange Screen Issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thepominlaw, Dec 27, 2012.

1. thepominlaw, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

thepominlaw macrumors member

Just wondering if anyone out there has had this problem before, my screen is going dark on my iMac. Started a few months ago but it is getting really annoying now. Have attached photo of the issue.

Tried cleaning glass to no avail. Sorry should have said its a late 2009 base model 21.5".

Attached Files:

2. obsoletepower macrumors regular

This is a VERY wide-spread problem with the previous iMacs. Because of the air circulation in the computer and the LCD assembly not being sealed you have micro dust particles entering the LCD assembly which is what you are experiencing. The only way to correct this is to have the LCD screen replaced. If your computer is still under warranty take it to an Apple store and they will replace it under warranty.

If you are lucky, the dust may just be in between the front glass element and the display but this is unlikely. You can pop off the front glass using two suction cups placed around the upper left and right corners and try to wipe any dust.

3. thepominlaw thread starter macrumors member

Just a quick update took imac in for repair, apparently the screen issue is an "environmenal" one and as such it is not covered by the applecare warranty.

4. debuggr macrumors newbie

That is a bunch of crap. Did a Genius tell you this? I had several display panels replaced on my previous iMac because of this issue. Maybe try a different store or call the Apple Care.

5. thepominlaw thread starter macrumors member

It was an authorised repair agent no apple store near by