Strange scrolling effect when swiping though photos in landscape mode.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by richard371, Apr 3, 2012.

1. richard371 macrumors 68000

I notice when scrolling through photos and home screens in landscape mode there is a slightly odd delay between the top and bottom. It's like the redraw rate is not even. Nothing bad just a little strange. IPhone doesn't do this. anyone else notice this. It's subtle but there. Don't have iPad 2 to compare.

2. pat park macrumors 6502a

My new iPad does not do this...

3. djmodifyd macrumors regular

4. richard371 thread starter macrumors 68000

I can't imagine it's a defect. I'll have to look at the ones in the apple store. Like I said its fairly faint and the average person pron won't notice it.

5. richard371 thread starter macrumors 68000

Never mind. Just tried the same thing on my 11 air with lion by swiping through my 4 desktops (different backgrounds) and get the same effect. Its like a very light rolling shutter effect in CMOS cameras when panning. My eyes are too sensitive lol.

IE Since both the new iPad and Air do it, its a problem with me not the devices :)

6. Fynd macrumors 6502

I notice this as well. I also see it when flipping through home screens in landscape. The icons scroll in a rolling way.

7. richard371 thread starter macrumors 68000

Did some research. It's because lcds do not draw the entire screen at once but 1 line at a time same as CMOS sensors in digital cameras thus causing the same warping/rolling effect. Some people can't see/detect it as well as others. it's not that bad just interesting that some see it more then others. I'm also one of those that can detect scanlines in many LCD displays esp lower quality screans such as blackberrys. I have an iPhone 3GS at work and many blackberry bolds that have horrible scan lines. Coworker can't see them. Had to replace a 4s once due to the scanlines.

8. gummycat macrumors newbie

I had noticed the symptom when scrolling home screens in landscape when i first got the iPad and restored it. I did a complete power down and restarted the device and it was no more. Haven't really seen it since. Not sure if an app had a mem leak or what... or maybe something was running in the background that was hogging resources?

Just thought that may help.

M