Strange Service Problem? Anyone else?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Californian, Aug 5, 2009.

1. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I was kicking back in the gameroom at my house tonight when all of a sudden my service dropped from 4 bars "AT&T 3G" to this:
    [​IMG]

Has anyone else ever experienced this? When I turn off 3G I end up with 5 Bars Edge. Even if I switch from EDGE to 3G it goes right back to what you see above. I didn't move AT ALL, and I've never experienced this ... So I don't know whats up. All of a sudden any time I switch to 3G, this is all I get. If I go upstairs I don't gain ANY 3G. I'm lost. Thanks.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You just described my life with AT&T, Sprint and any other carrier in my area. I live near the water of the San Francisco Bay and my neighborhood is at the lowest point in a valley, so reception has been crappy since 1993. I've never had 3G at my house, except when I added tethering to my iPhone. Hopefully, yours is just a freak situation.....:(

3. egk69 macrumors 6502

hehe, mine do that sometimes, and also sometimes it haves 3G or E and when i start a call the 3G or E icon drops till i end the call (i dont think this is normal) and also sometimes (cant remember if it is during calls or anytime) it will change the 3G or E logo for a little circle something like the "degrees" symbol, so it will say :
    "----- AT&T[​IMG]"
    ^^^
    Those are the Bars, hehehe

4. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

We so should have met up while I was in SF last weekend. It was my first time there so I could have used some inside insight. I spent a lot of my time at Pier 39 until I found O'Reillys .... haha

My confusion is that it doesn't even say AT&T.

5. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

If you have a Mac ... Try ALT+0 ... You get this º

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I actually experienced this same thing earlier, mine said "---- 3G" instead of showing the bars with "Telstra 3G" (my carrier) next to it, toggling Airplane Mode on and off seems to have fixed it for me, I think it's a bit funny that I come on here and the first topic I see is from someone that experienced the same thing :p

7. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

I think it's just more confirmation that I need to move to Australia ... haha

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You could have PMd me and I coulda' showed you the sights. Hopefully you got some clam chowder and crab on the pier. You probably should have made your way to North Beach for some Italian food or the Mission District for some of the best Mexican food around.

How was the reception around Pier 39? I've really found the reception in that area to be fair to excellent, with full bars. How'd you make it to O'Reilly's from Fisherman's Wharf? That's a trip from Pier 39, unless you've been there before.... lol

9. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

My girlfriend and I ate some great Italian food at Pinocchio's in North Beach. We have plenty of incredible Mexican food in Southern California, haha. We were staying at the Hilton in the Financial District so we actually walked to O'Reilly's from our hotel and after leaving there around 2:30am we pretty much needed a cab to get back ... haha.

I found the cell service to be INCREDIBLE down there ... I found the MAPS directions to be utter CRAP! My girlfriend has an iPhone as well and actually found better directions by using MapQuest on here Safari App than on the MAPS APP.

We're talking about relocating up there, but may need a few more trips to convince us, my best friend has family connections up there at a club, so maybe you can join us next time.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sounds like a plan. Yeah, I don't know what it is about the Maps app in the City, but I generally keep a map of the city in the side compartment when I'm driving to a place I'm not familiar with or when Maps messes up. The Fairmont Hotel and anything near Union Square is awesome; Friday nights are spent at the Fairmont when we are at home. I'll PM you....:cool:

11. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

Yah, please do ... I don't know if you drink, but my friend that I was speaking of has a family friend that is a manager of a nice bar that can give out free drinks ... And free is nice. haha