Strange shipping locations

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oulhaggy, Dec 1, 2013.

1. oulhaggy macrumors member

I've been tracking my new retina iPad mini via UPS and it's been back and forth between China and Germany 3 times. It arrived in Dubai yesterday and then it was shipped to Germany again. And now it's saying it's departed from Germany. No idea where it's going to but I live in Northern Ireland. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Will attach an image of my tracking if you guys need clarification of what I'm talking about lol

2. oulhaggy thread starter macrumors member

This is the attachment of my tracking.

Attached Files:

3. mpantone macrumors 6502

The Koeln, Germany entries do not indicate physical presence of the package in that city.

My guess is that the German government has some sort of office/partner agency for customs related issues in those various cities (Shenzhen and Hong Kong in your case) which is why the word "brokerage" appears prominently in those entries.

Thus, the package's route was Shenzhen > Hong Kong > Dubai > Koeln.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on Germany customs regulations or import procedures.

4. oulhaggy thread starter macrumors member

Ah I get it now! It updated 2 hours ago. Arrived in England at 2:15am and departed at 3:43am.
    Ps, thanks for the explanation!

5. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

It is common for packages sent via couriers like UPS, FedEx, DHL to begin customs clearance before the physical item arrives to the destination or intermediary country. In most cases customs officials just look at the copies of the paperwork and make a determination on clearing the package based on that, it's very rare that they open it up to verify what's inside. This speeds up the clearance process dramatically.