Strange shutdown behaviour - Battery Drain - Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cRuNcHiE, Nov 16, 2007.

1. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

10.5.0 and 10.5.1 affected

Since installing Leopard on my Macbook Pro ive noticed a few oddities.

Firstly, when shutting down (not standby) After the screen goes off and it all appears to be shutdown. The harddisk still spins for another 20-30 seconds?

Also twice now i have shutdown the laptop, it all appeared to be fully off ( no noise).

Then when i went to turn it back on in the morning the battery was totally flat.

There were no lights on or noise to indicate it was still on.

Its a clean install of leopard with 250gb hdd. 12month old macbook pro 2.26 ghz

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. cRuNcHiE thread starter macrumors 6502a

BUMP.

This is getting more serious now.

I have noticed as i shutdown,when it looks off but hard disk is still going,
    the glowing light on the latch button comes on for 10 seconds or so then it turns off.

Last night it did this and i put it away in my laptop back thinking it was all off then i later noticed i could hear the fans full belt as it was still on in the bag roasting hot . NOT GOOD.

i find it ironic that this is happening EXACTLY a few days after warranty ran out. I have had zero problems previously and i take great care of my gear.

3. stevel58 macrumors newbie

stevel58

I experienced exactly the same thing - about 3 occasions including two when I retrieved my MBP from its sleeve and bag to find it roasting hot.

However, I think I tracked down the problem to having DoubleCommand installed. I removed this and since then (several weeks) I have not had the problem.

4. cRuNcHiE thread starter macrumors 6502a

I dont have double command.

I've read reports of some people saying having bluetooth enabled was the cause. Is your BT enabled?

It was fine in Tiger, it just seems to be doing it in leopard though i cant tell for sure without reinstalling tiger.

5. stevel58 macrumors newbie

stevel58

Yes, Bluetooth is enabled now and was when I had the problems!

6. prstat macrumors newbie

Exactly the same problem here

I upgraded to Leopard the day it was released and all other aspects of 10.5 are working perfectly, but I seem to be having similar power management problem.

Some of my observations are

Shutdown appears normal. Screen goes black, keyboard black. Wait 5 seconds, close lid and the latch light glows solid for about 3 seconds, then switches off.

Computer battery will then discharge at about the rate of suspend mode. 8-10 hours from a full charge. 1-2 hours from a half-charge.

Start-up (if battery has any charge left) is normal. Hear chime, see apple logo etc.

Twice I've opened my computer bag to find the machine roasting hot when it should be switched off.

system.log shows only normal shutdown and start up messages.

I've reset the power management unit (disconnect from power, remove battery, hold on/off) and reset the pram (cmd-option+p+r)

Workaround (when I remember) is to power off, wait a few seconds, then pop out the battery and put it back.

7. cvahl macrumors member

I am experiencing the same problems since a few days with my SR Macbook. Bluetooth is also switched on. Till I read your posts, I thought it might be a problem that I did not deistall Fan Control correctly, cause I'm having this problem since that day. Might be a coincidence.

I'm just glad that I am not the only one who is having this problem, hopefully Apple will fix it in 10.5.3.

8. mediababy macrumors member

Yeah. I started getting this after updating to Leopard. This MBP is ending its warranty at the end of this month (Dec 2007).....so luckily I live near a Apple Store & have them look at it as this seems to be now a common problem.

On battery.....it just shutsdown with tons of battery supposedly left.
    Power adapter works with no problem.