Strange Shutting Down and External Hard Drive software

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CalebP, Dec 24, 2011.

1. CalebP macrumors newbie

Quite a bit to cover and every response is appreciated. =]

First of all I have a late 2010 Macbook Pro and it has always worked perfect with the exception of a few minor hiccups. I have my hard drive dual booted to Windows 7 to play games on Steam. This always worked fine as well. Yesterday I was in the middle of a Team Fortress 2 match and my computer decides to just turn off. I turned it back on after a few minutes of letting it cool down think that maybe it overheated. Upon booting back up the computer was making a horribly loud fan sound. I noticed the magsafe wasn't working and the battery had a big bold x on it. I reset something as a guide on Apple told me to do. Everything was working fine. I decided to run a back up. I later find out that the software for my WD My Passport was crashing upon opening. I uninstalled the software that I installed forever ago and couldn't find which software I needed to re-install and I've lost the original CD. And today, I was playing the Sims 3 on the Mac partition. I decided to check up on Facebook and upon opening Google Chrome my machine shut down. The battery is having no problem and there is no fan sound, but the magsafe is not charging at all. Any tips as to what the problem is with my machine and magsafe and any suggestion for software for my external hdd?

2. CalebP thread starter macrumors newbie

3. nippyjun macrumors 65816

The software is probably western digital smartware.

I would monitor system temps and see if temps are getting too high.

Or maybe there is a problem with your battery/charger.

4. CalebP thread starter macrumors newbie

My MagSafe has completely stopped working now. I'm nowhere near an Apple store and I don't want to pay $60 for a new charger.