Strange/slow start-up on MBP w/SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kuebby, Dec 24, 2012.

1. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Ok, I bought a 08/09 2.66 C2D MBP on CL the other day and I've since upgraded the RAM (to 8GB 1333Mhz) and switched out the HD for an SSD (OCZ Vertex 4).

The boot is now weirdly slow, but as fast as it should be once it gets through the initial stage. From "off" it takes around a minute to be usable, but most of that time is spent on the white screen, before it even shows the Apple logo. Once the desktop appears everything is loaded with programs (Chrome, Mail, iTunes, etc) open in about 15 seconds.

Any reason for this or anything I can do to speed it up?

Of note:
    -The old RAM was 1066Mhz but both are PC3-8500 and everything I read says that they are compatible. (They also came out of a C2D iMac of the same generation.)
    -When I installed the SSD I just loaded it with a carbon copy clone of the old drive before I did, I don't know if I could have missed some step. I did create the recovery partition on the new drive with CCC though.

2. ramram55 macrumors 6502

Try this, see if does good,
    apple menu > system preference > start up disk > highlight the start up disk and restart.

3. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

I've had this, did a PRAM reset and that sorted it. Hold down CMD+ALT+P+R when the Mac turns on, let go when it has chimed twice.

If that doesn't work then something's holding up the POST time. Try it with original RAM & SSD and if same new RAM and original HDD as could be one of the parts you've upgraded.