Strange sound coming from my MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Euro-Canadian, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Euro-Canadian, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012

Euro-Canadian macrumors newbie

Over the last two months I have been hearing this strange sound coming from my mac.
    (the sound is uploaded here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz0sMr9rm-A

Even if I do nothing with my macbook and its just sitting there it will make the ting sound randomly every 20-30-40 minutes or so.

The sound has been here for about a month now. I tried restarting my comp and it doesn't help. I also tried shutting it down and keeping it off for over 24hrs, and it didnt help either.

Below is a screenshot of the activities. Is there anything suspicious here?

Is there anything you need me to take a screenshot of to analyze this?

Thank You

2. simsaladimbamba

If you have QuickTime Player X (comes with Mac OS X 10.6 and 10.7), open it, go to File > New Audio Recording and record and then trim and then save the file and then upload it somewhere or compress it via Finder and attach it as .zip to your next post (max file size is 1.4 MB or so).

Mac 101: QuickTime Player

And when in Activity Monitor, though it will probably not help, unless the sound comes from your speakers:

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

If the sound comes from your speakers, look into Dashboard and see, if one of the widgets you have produces a sound.

3. Euro-Canadian thread starter macrumors newbie

4. simsaladimbamba

It does sound a little like the "Blow" sound effect. Go to System Preferences > Sound > Sound Effects and check the sounds and if one of them is similar to yours.
    Have you checked Dashboard yet? And what about Activity Monitor? You can print the process' list, but make sure to select SHOW ALL PROCESSES and sort by PROCESS NAME.

5. Euro-Canadian, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012

Euro-Canadian thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked the effects and nothing in there sounds like the sound I hear regurarly.

In the dashboard I only have the clock, weather and the post-it note so I dont think it's that either.

However, I did do the print of all preferences and below it is. Hopefully that is something visibly wrong in here that can be fixed.

Thank You

6. simsaladimbamba

Do you use the PUBLIC folder in DropBox?
    If not, either use that and get the public link via Finder, not the WWW interface, or use one of the methods shown below:

7. Euro-Canadian thread starter macrumors newbie